H.D. Deve Gowda, JD(S) Chief
AFTER the assurance of “unconditional” support from former Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy and Merajuddin Patel, State president of the JD(S), the BJP was in for a rude shock on November 1 when H.D. Deve Gowda, national president of the JD(S), presented it with a list of 12 conditions. These, he says, must form the basis of a written understanding with the BJP in a future coalition.
1. The post of Chief Minister shall be given to B.S. Yeddyurappa.
2. The post of Deputy Chief Minister shall be reserved for a JD(S) nominee.
3. The portfolios and the list of Ministers shall be finalised in consultation with the JD(S). (The number of Cabinet positions and the number of Ministers of State for each party shall be finalised later.)
4. The government shall provide protection to the minorities, the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.
5. In the event of any Minister or legislator having a grievance, it shall be routed through their respective party heads for redress.
6. The coordination committee shall be presided over by H.D. Kumaraswamy.
7. The strength of the coordination committee shall be decided by the heads of both parties.
8. The presidents and leaders of both parties shall refrain from airing allegations.
9. Important administrative postings and appointments shall be made in consultation with the JD(S). The same rule shall apply in the appointment of the Advocate-General and other law officers.
10. No Cabinet decisions with regard to ongoing development projects shall be altered.
11. The State government shall recommend dissolution of the Assembly along with elections to the Lok Sabha.
12. In the event of any significant departure from the understanding (and that which cannot be resolved) both parties will have the liberty to withdraw support.